The Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon is a R&D Unit funded by the Foundation for Science and Technology. Our main research areas are:
IBEB has a strong track record of publications in respected international journals and conferences. IBEB’s scientific output has been increasing steeply in the last years.
- National Institutes of Health, USA
- Harvard University, USA
- Julich Research Centre (INM-4) – Germany
- King’s College London, UK
- Cambridge University, UK
- University College London, UK
- University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Fox Chase Cancer Center, USA
- German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) – Germany
- Universität Heidelberg – Germany
- COST TD1401 – FAST – CERN and other partners
- COST TD1301 – MiMed – Coordinator
- Crystal Clear Collaboration – CERN
- COST CA17115 – MyWAVE – Working Group leader
- Hospital Dona Estefânia, Lisboa (Portugal)
- Hospital de Santa Maria, Lisboa (Portugal)
- University of Aveiro (Portugal)
- University of Porto (Portugal)
- University of Minho (Portugal)
- Biomedical Institute for Research on Light and Image (IBILI) – Coimbra – Portugal
- Laboratory for Instrumentation and Particle Physics (LIP) – Lisboa – Portugal
- INESC Coimbra, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra – Portugal
- Centre for Business and Economics Research, University of Coimbra – Portugal
- Champalimaud Foundation – Lisboa (Portugal)
- University of Galway – Ireland
Research carried out in IBEB has a strong applied component, and it has resulted in the register of patents.
Coil for magnetic stimulation and methods for using the same
EP1326681, AU200229129, WO200232504, CA2425276, US2004078056, HK1056849.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation system and methods
US2006287566, WO2006134598, AU2006257210
Tomography by Emission of Positrons (PET) System
Sistema de Tomografia por Emissão de Positrões
IBEB has developed close interactions with national and international industry partners to facilitate innovation. These connections consist in scientific partnerships, non-disclosure agreements, research contracts and patent submissions.
Our main partners are:
- Siemens Medical Solutions
- PETsys Electronics – Medical PET Detectors, S.A.
IBEB participates in several research projects funded by national and international agencies.
The latter give rise to several publications, patents and scholarship opportunities for researchers in different stages of their scientific careers.
We particularly acknowledge funding from Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia: UIDB/00645/2020 e UIDP/00645/2020.